Currently, we are in the Hebrew month of “Av”. In Hebrew, Av means Father. Av is short for Abba.
Isn’t that special? We are in a month named after our Heavenly Father, our Abba.
How did the Jewish people come up with the name for this month?
It was in the month of Av (which usually coincides with the month of August) that both the first and the second Temples in Jerusalem were destroyed. Both Temples were destroyed on the same day - just hundreds of years apart.
That day?
The 9th of Av.
That date is a sobering day for Jews as they remember the destruction of both Temples.
They mourn not just the loss of a magnificent building. They mourn that the Presence of God is not in this world like it was when His glory and His Presence filled the Temple in Jerusalem.
As a Christian, I know that God’s Presence is in this world through His Spirit dwelling in His people. That thought brings such comfort to me as well as a personal challenge.
Am I bringing the light, the love, and the Presence of God to others in this lost and dark world?
I desire to do that very much.
Technically, the full name of this Hebrew month is “Menachem Av”, but it is called “Av” for short.
What does Menachem Av mean?
Comforting Father.
Isn’t that precious?
During a month when the Jewish people are mourning the destruction of the first and second Temple, destruction that God allowed to happen because of national sin in Israel, they remember our comforting Father.
This reminds me of a verse in the book of Hosea:
They mourn not just the loss of a magnificent building. They mourn that the Presence of God is not in this world like it was when His glory and His Presence filled the Temple in Jerusalem.
As a Christian, I know that God’s Presence is in this world through His Spirit dwelling in His people. That thought brings such comfort to me as well as a personal challenge.
Am I bringing the light, the love, and the Presence of God to others in this lost and dark world?
I desire to do that very much.
Technically, the full name of this Hebrew month is “Menachem Av”, but it is called “Av” for short.
What does Menachem Av mean?
Comforting Father.
Isn’t that precious?
During a month when the Jewish people are mourning the destruction of the first and second Temple, destruction that God allowed to happen because of national sin in Israel, they remember our comforting Father.
This reminds me of a verse in the book of Hosea:
“Come, and let us return unto the Lord: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.”
Hosea 6:1
This verse shows the nature and character of our Heavenly Father, our Abba Father.
![]() |
| Photo taken in May 2026. |
Yes, God allows certain things to happen in life.
But He heals. He rebuilds. He restores.
There are so many things that we go through in life. Life is full of both joy and sorrow.
Sometimes, things happen that can turn into deep sadness and sorrow.
Sometimes, things happen because of our own doing, like the nation of Israel choosing to live in sin. God allowed destruction to happen.
Sometimes though, things happen in life that are totally out of our control. Our heart might be right with God, and yet, sad things happen.
Sadly, bad things still happen in life because of the sin of others. Sin brings so much destruction.
We live in a fallen world. Health challenges come. Death happens. Unkind words and misjudgment from others can cause tremendous sorrow.
Sadness, sorrow, and depression are all very real. So much so, it can be difficult to share at times in a way that others understand.
Sometimes, we look for comfort from others, only to feel like David when he wrote:
“…vain is the help of man.”
Psalm 60:11
Yet through it all, we have a comforting Father. He truly knows. He fully understands. He sees it all.
![]() |
| A tiny pink flower I saw on a nature walk. July 2026. |
I love to remember the Hebrew month of Av that coincides with August. It is a month that reminds me of our Father in Heaven.
Father. Abba. Daddy. Papa.
Comforting Father. Consoling Father.
God brings peace and comfort to my heart in the things that He has created.
We have a Father in heaven Who loves us so much, more than we could ever comprehend.
On the weekend after the 9th of Av, Jews begin reading certain Scripture passages on the weekly Sabbath. For seven weeks, the Jews call these the “Sabbaths of comfort”. Isn’t that beautiful?
They read certain verses from the book of Isaiah each week reminding them of our comforting Father. God has promised Israel many glorious things to come in the future! Contrary to popular belief, God is not done with Israel. Israel has a glorious future ahead which many of the prophets, especially Isaiah, wrote about.
I love remembering these things. Even when life is sad and things in life look hopeless, God can and does do marvelous things.
I also love the month of August as we go into late summer. Where I live, August is an incredibly hot, summer month, but it is beautiful. Everything is so lush and beautiful this time of year where I live.
As a young girl living in Michigan, summer was my favorite season. As a young teenager living in California, August became my favorite month.
Now, September is my absolute favorite month with August stepping on the heels of that month. Nature is so beautiful right now, I cannot get enough of it.
I see God in the many things that He has created. The animals. The birds. The tiny flowers and bees. The majestic trees. The flowing rivers and streams. The breathtaking sunsets.
![]() |
| A nearby river I visit often. Photo taken in July 2026. |
God also brings peace and comfort to my heart through His Word.
And He brings peace and comfort to my heart through songs written about Him and to Him.
I love older hymns, but I also love some newer songs as well. There is a newer song that I love the words to that is titled: “A Good, Good Father”
God is Who He says He is in His Word.
God’s nature and His character are good. His Word is full of His goodness and love.
We do indeed have a good, good Father.



No comments:
Post a Comment